Airbnb has grown exponentially in the past few years ever since its inception 8 years ago.
Its valuation in June 2015 was pegged at 24 billion$.
One of the primary reasons for this success is that it really knows how to take care of its hosts– the property owners.
Its USP is in ensuring â€˜peace of mindâ€™ for each and every host no matter where they are. Â In an increasingly small world this â€˜host guaranteeâ€™ has made Airbnb one of the safest and most trusted online communities that is only increasing in popularity each day.
At the Ignite conference held in March 2016- findings say that London was one of the most popular cities ranking behind New York and Paris.
In-fact Airbnbâ€™s UK and Ireland GM James McClure said, â€œLondonâ€™s the third biggest city in terms of places to stay, there is a little over 40,000 places to stay and that is growing 75% year on year so we are very happy with how that growth is.â€
This then makes for a truly sound business venture for all those micro-entrepreneurs who are looking to host their properties and this is where oneâ€™s peace of mind comes in.
As the property owner, one has a lot at stake and even though Airbnbâ€™s track record has been spot on so far accounting for a minor percentage of property damages or even host disputes; it still is a very valid question to ask- â€œHow do I ensure my property is safe?â€
Airbnb makes it safe and simple with their unmatched insurance guarantee for property damage up to Â£600,000.
What does it really mean?
It means each time there is a booking for the host property, an automatic insurance cover becomes active and all the host has to do at the initial stage at the time of their property listing is to follow some easy stepsÂ mentioned on their site.
Itâ€™s also important to understand that this â€˜Host Guaranteeâ€™ does not cover reasonable wear and tear and itâ€™s always common sense to take away most valuable assets like cash, jewellery and other precious items like family heirlooms etc. A detailed description of everything is below.
What is covered?
â€œCovered Lossesâ€ means and is limited to direct physical loss or physical damage incurred by a Host to Covered Property of such Host located at a Covered Accommodation caused by the Responsible Guest or an Invitee of the Responsible Guest while staying at such Covered Accommodation booked by such Responsible Guest through the Services.
What is not covered?
- Currency, money, precious metal in bullion form, notes or securities.
- Land, water or any other substance in or on land; except this exclusion does not apply to (i) land improvements consisting of landscape gardening, roadways and pavements, but not including any fill or land beneath such property, or (ii) water that is contained within any enclosed tank, piping system or any other processing equipment.
- Animals, including, but not limited to, livestock and pets.
- Standing timber; growing crops.
- Watercraft (including, but not limited to, boats, yachts, jet skis, and similar craft), aircraft, spacecraft, and satellites. This watercraft exclusion does not apply with respect to any watercraft which is a Covered Accommodation. However, this exclusion does apply to vessels that, at the time of the loss, are in transit, or are moving greater than 10 feet from their usual fixed location and moving faster than one mile per hour.
- Vehicles (including, but not limited to, automobiles, scooters, vespas, and motorcycles). This exclusion does not apply with respect to any vehicle that is a Covered Accommodation. However, this exclusion does apply to vehicles that, at the time of the loss, are in transit, or are moving greater than 10 feet from their usual fixed location and moving faster than one mile per hour.
- Underground mines or mine shafts or any property within such mine or shaft.
- Dams, dikes and levees.
- Property in transit, except as otherwise provided by these Airbnb Host Guarantee Terms.
- Transmission and distribution lines beyond 1,000 feet of the Covered Accommodation.
- Any damage to any property that is not in, at, or on a Covered Accommodation.
- Real property owned by a party other than you and that you do not control.
Are there any limitations to the coverage?
The Airbnb Host Guarantee pays Covered Losses only and does not pay for any of the following (â€œExcluded Lossesâ€):
- any losses caused by a Guest or Invitee after the expiration of the booking period shown in the applicable Listing.
- losses or damages for Covered Property, which arise out of any one booking of a Covered Accommodation by a Responsible Guest, in excess of the Limit.
- in the case of Fine Arts, losses or damages if the Fine Arts cannot be replaced with other of like kind and quality and any loss or damage from any repairing, restoration or retouching process.
- any losses, damages, cost or expense of whatsoever nature, directly or indirectly, caused by, relating to or resulting from any of the following:
- (i) Excluded Property;
- (ii) acts of nature, including, but not limited to, earthquakes and weather-related events such as hurricanes and tornadoes;
- (iii) excessive use of electricity, gas, fuel, water or other utilities provided for the Covered Accommodation;
- (iv) indirect or remote causes;
- (v) interruption of business, loss of market and/or loss of use, except that the Airbnb Host Guarantee does cover Booking Income Loss;
- (vi) loss, damage, or deterioration arising from any delay;
- (vii) mysterious disappearance, loss, or shortage disclosed on taking inventory, or any unexplained loss of inventory;
- (viii) enforcement of any law or ordinance (i) regulating the construction, repair, replacement, use or removal of any property, including removal of debris, or (ii) requiring the demolition of any property, including the cost of removing its debris;
- (ix) animals, including injuries to animals, veterinary care, boarding, medications, and all other services associated with animals; or
- (x) identity theft or identity fraud.
- any losses, damages, cost or expense of whatsoever nature, directly or indirectly, caused by or resulting from any of the following, regardless of any other cause or event contributing thereto:
- (i) any hostile act or act of war, terrorism, insurrection or rebellion;
- (ii) actual or threatened malicious use of poisonous biological or chemical materials;
- (iii) nuclear reaction or radiation or radioactive contamination;
- (iv) seizure or destruction under quarantine or custom regulation, or confiscation by order of any governmental or public authority;
- (v) contraband, or illegal transportation or trade;
- (vi) any dishonest act, including but not limited to theft, committed by you or any persons or entities retained by you to do anything in connection with Covered Property, unless such persons or entities are a Responsible Guest or Invitee and such act is done without your knowledge; or
- (vii) lack of electricity, fuel, water, gas, steam, refrigerant, sewerage, telephone or internet services due to external factors.
- the following conditions:
- (i) faulty workmanship, material, construction or design from any cause;
- (ii) deterioration, depletion, rust, corrosion or erosion, inherent vice or latent defect;
- (iii) Ordinary Wear and Tear;
- (iv) settling, cracking, shrinking, bulging, or expansion of foundations, floors, pavements, walls, ceilings or roofs;
- (v) changes of temperature or relative humidity; or
- (vi) damage caused by insects, animals or vermin (including pets);
provided, that any physical damage resulting from any of the conditions listed above will be covered by the Airbnb Host Guarantee if not otherwise excluded under the Airbnb Host Guarantee.
We at Hello Guest make this even simpler by ensuring that itâ€™s all done from the moment you sign up with us for â€˜full property management servicesâ€™. Itâ€™s part of our customer care protocol and most importantly we care equally for you as our family and as a part of the larger Airbnb family.
Veronica Tribolati Co-Founder @Hello Guest says â€œWhen a host signs up with us we ensure that small damages, spillages of wine or coffee on the couch or carpet are taken care by our in-house housekeeping team as these minimal damages are not part of the Airbnb insurance cover. But we ensure that the host is really aware of what the Airbnb cover entails and thus is well prepared for any eventuality.â€
Itâ€™s always good to know that â€˜peace of mindâ€™ is not just a term but something that is very well implemented by our professional team with an absolute commitment to quality care. With our constant dedication in building a solid relationship with our hosts- Hello Guest takes it up a notch in the world of Airbnb property management services.
To know more call us on 07903051473